“The idea that you buy your giant pretzel and walk in off the street is, I’m sorry, just not the same.”
Hugh Landwehr, a scenic designer in response to MoMA’s proposal to make it’s sculpture garden free to the public.
This is hilarious 3 fold:
- I mean, how dare anyone eat a pretzel and look at art simultaneously!
- Just not the same knowing you are sharing the same rarefied air with other people who shelled out $25 for access?
- People shouldn’t touch the street before touching MoMA.
And here is my response:
- This is why people hate us.
- LACMA has that with their sculpture garden and it’s fantastic. It brings such a sense of shared community and wonder to your day.
- GO AWAY NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE (see, how does it feel?)