Tyler Green is a smart dude, I agree for free for collections access, especially here in LA where you probably have to pay to park to get to the museum in the first place!
New Coagula is out, and it sounds like a good one.
The late Dennis Hopper was an integral player in the American art world for half a century and his thespian personality was energized and informed by the boundless creative forces at play in the L.A. art world. In Coagula issue #103, publisher Mat Gleason pays tribute and offers his personal recollection on what made Dennis tick.
Coagula Issue #103 is packed with lots more: Gordy Grundy is riled up about drinking in this month’s GENUFLECT column. Alan Bamberger walks us through great strategies for artists to get a solo show in his TURNING PRO column. Victoria Barkley has a thing for Rosé Wines and DaVinci in her ART + WINE column. Jim Caron’s comics and Gerald Locklin’s LiterARTure poetry about art are featured as always.
Artist Ben Talbert is examined in detail by Matt Dukes Jordan, artist Lun*na Menoh’s solo show at Track 16 Gallery in Santa Monica is previewed along with a pictorial survey of her edgy balance between art and high fashion. The dean of LowBrow art, Robert Williams is celebrated on the eve of the world premiere of a career-spanning documentary ROBERT WILLIAMS MISTER BITCHIN’ which premieres on June 16 at LACMA. And if all that were not enough, we have a feature review of William Wegman by Frank Charlie Woods and 32 (yes 32) L.A. reviews of galleries in Culver City and Chinatown.
In a joint effort to present the arts and culture to the diverse and myriad communities in Southern California, the Museum Marketing Roundtable announces the fifth annual “Museums Free-For-All” Saturday-Sunday, October 3 and 4, 2009. The following museums - presenting art, cultural heritage, natural history, and science - will open their doors wide and invite visitors free of charge.*
- Armory Center for the Arts - Both Days
- The Autry National Center - Sunday, October 4th ONLY
- Bowers Museum - Sunday, October 4th Only
- California African American Museum - Both Days
- California Heritage Museum - Saturday, October 3rd Only
- California Science Center - Both Days
- Craft and Folk Art Museum - Both Days
- Fowler Museum at UCLA - Both Days
- The Getty Center - Both Days
- The Getty Villa**- Both Days
- The Grammy Museum at L.A. Live - Sunday, October 4th Only
- Hammer Museum at UCLA - Sunday, October 4th Only
- Japanese American National Museum - Saturday, October 3rd Only
- Los Angeles Fire Department Museum and Memorial - Saturday, October 3rd
- The Museum of Contemporary Art,
Los Angeles (MOCA) - Sunday, October 4th Only
- Museum of Latin American Art (MoLAA) - Both Days
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County - Sunday October 4th Only
- Norton Simon Museum - Sunday, October 4th Only
- Orange County Center for Contemporary Art - Both Days
- Orange County Museum of Art - Both Days
- The Paley Center for Media - Both Days
- Santa Monica Museum of Art - Saturday, October 3rd Only
- Skirball Cultural Center - Sunday, October 4th Only
- The Studio for Southern California History - Both Days